If you are planning on attending Anthony Robbins Unleash the Power Within (UPW), you will be in for the experience of your life… especially if you come prepared.
I attended my first UPW event in the summer of 2008 in Toronto Canada. From the very first day, I was grateful to have meet Rock, one of the coaches who work for Tony. He may appear like a really energetic intense bald guy who doesn't seem to approachable but, if you have the opportunity to meet and talk with him, take it. He has the loving heart of a teddy bear.
Rock gave me what I believe was the single most important piece of advice that helped me get the most out of the event. He suggested that I should go into it with an open mind, a willingness to fully participate and take advantage of the experience. Accept what makes sense and feels right and forget the rest. Information is only right for you if you are ready for it.
Base on my personal experience, I would like to share a few tips to help you get the most of this event:
[ Update: Do your best to adapt these for Virtual UPW events ]
- Get to the convention hall early and stand in line. An hour or more before the doors open is not unreasonable if you want to get a good seat. Not only will you will get a better seat, you will meet a lot of really interesting people, share experiences and make new friends. This is even more important if you are going on your own.
- It’s a lot of fun to go to the event with friends and/or family, but be sure to sit among strangers, not near anyone you know. It’s important to be able to be honest with yourself at this event. Sometimes it’s easier to share and express your true thoughts and feelings with a stranger that you might never see again than to be honest with someone you really care about.
- Try to get a seat next to the aisles, specifically the aisles which are closer to the centre of the hall. I would rather be a little farther back than be stuck where I can't dance, jump around. In the middle, you are really limited to whom you can give/receive hugs. You’ll be doing a lot of that. The energy in the aisles is much higher. No, I am not crazy. You have to have been there to appreciate what I am saying.
- You will be up late so get to bed and go to sleep as soon as the day is over. You'll need to be up early and well rested for the next day.
- The meal you have before you walk into the hall will be your most important meal of the day. Don’t ask why. You won't want to hear the answer. Plan to minimize having to leave the hall during the day. You don't want to miss anything if it can be helped.
- Bring healthy snacks. Short term sugar highs may feel great but the crashes don't. You will also find that the sugar will not really fill you but only serve to make you feel hungrier.
- Bring a small day-pack to keep your stuff together. Things like snacks, LOTS of large bottles of water, notepad with a firm surface, multiple pens, etc.
- Though they don’t allow any video or photography during the seminar, they do encourage you to bring cameras and phone -- whatever you've got -- to the Firewalk. Go figure, it was the one time the whole time at the event when I left it in my hotel room. They will probably let the occasional snapshot slide WITHOUT A FLASH. By the way, the Firewalk is outdoors so come with appropriate wear for the weather.
- Take notes beyond what is included in the provided manual. There is information I now wish I had noted which just didn't seem important to me at the time.
- At one point you will be invited to learn more about their "Platinum Partner" program. Whether or not you are interested in it or can afford it, go meet the people there. I knew that I wasn't ready for this program just yet but it was awesome to meet the people who were there.
Surviving Unleash the Power Within
There are many other really useful tips that I would love to share with you. If you are interested, send me feedback in the Contact Us page.
Anthony Robbins Grads
This is a great place to meet people who have attended a past event or are planning on attending an upcoming event.
[ Update: This has since been replaced by a Facebook group. ]
Keep in mind that nobody is going to make you do or believe anything you don’t want to do. They simply present you with information and invite you to get involved and grow beyond what you ever thought might be possible. It's completely up to you to decide just how far you are ready and willing to go. Most of the real change in your life will happen after the event. The event simply offers you the tools and the opportunity to overcome your limiting beliefs.
Eventually you will be ready to grow again and may even decide to attend a future UPW again or go for Date With Destiny or Mastery University to grow even more. Some people I meet there have attended UPW multiple times over the years to "recharge". Growing as a human being can be quite addictive once it becomes a natural part of who you are. I believe that we are by nature curious and inquisitive people. We need to stop listening to all the people telling us what we can't accomplish in our lives and start believing that we know what is best for us.
Every one of us is beautiful. Everyone one of us is perfect right now. Who we are is the sum of our knowledge and experiences to date. We all have the ability to learn and grow. Our potential is only limited by what we believe. Whether you want more or just something different in your life, your vision of your future is possible. Don’t let anyone ever tell you anything different. However it is your future and therefore your responsibility to make it happen. Take control of your life and start steering it in the direction you want go. What may seem like an insignificant small change in your life today can have a dramatic effect on your future.
It's been a while since I attended the UPW event and I am still discovering ways the whole experience affected me. I must admit I am starting to get the itch to go back again for more. I understand that the upcoming events will include a financial component that I wish had been included in the program when I was there.
When you come back from the event, chances are pretty good that you will be you feel stronger, better, and clearer than you have ever felt in your life. You will believe that you are ready to take on anything and you will absolutely without any doubt 100% right. You will begin to make deep and lasting changes in your life. I also found this post-seminar time to be the hardest part of the whole experience (they warn you of this).
The down side is that you will most likely encounter resistance to this real-you from people you really care about including your family, friends and co-workers. People will tell you that you are wrong, that you don't know what you are talking about. They will try to change you back to the way you were because that is who they felt comfortable with. It is in times like these that leaders are born because leaders lead, they do not follow.
Each time I encountered resistance, I stuck to my beliefs and was true to myself. And each time the resistance faded. Eventually I even started to notice that these same people started to adopt some of the changes I had made. My experience at UPW not only affected my life in a profound and lasting way, it seems to be having an indirect effect on people around me. The key here is to remember that the changes you are making in your life are right for you but may not be right for everyone else. Keep that in mind and you will become a source of inspiration.
Lead your life, do not follow. For only you know down deep in your heart what is right for you.
What I want for you is to embrace this opportunity and let it guide you to a life filled with peace, joy and fulfillment, the life you were meant to have. Trust in yourself that this and other decisions you make each day are the best decisions. Know in your heart that these choices will also benefit all of the people that you will touch for the rest of your life.
Michael Milette | IT Career Life Coach
Come discover a great life!
2009-09-14 at 9:16 AM
Thanks very much for this nice piece of text.
2009-11-27 at 4:53 PM
Thanks very much for the great ideas!!
2009-12-10 at 5:14 PM
Thanks for this info.
2009-12-30 at 1:00 AM
It was interesting. You seem very knowledgeable in your field.
2010-01-02 at 12:16 PM
Various of people blog about this topic but you said some true words.
2010-02-14 at 7:06 AM
Terrific work! This is the type of information that should be shared around the web. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher!
2010-02-19 at 11:27 PM
I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing
2010-02-21 at 11:12 AM
I had to refresh the page 2 times to view this page for some reason, however, the information on here was worth the wait. I loved that it is also really easy to read for the eyes.
2010-02-21 at 2:28 PM
You have really great taste on catch article titles. Even when you are not interested in the topic, it pushes you to read it.
2011-03-23 at 9:32 AM
Reading your article is like reliving the events for me. Everything you said is absolutely true and put into words very well. My first UPW event was in 2002 and it was a life changing experience. I had no clue what I was in for. I will be attending my second UPW event as a participant tomorrow 3/24/11 in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Reading this makes me so excited to be going back. Thank you and keep stepping up.
2011-05-01 at 11:31 AM
Thanks Michael….I was looking for this kind of information to finalize my decision and now I can’t wait. Thanks again for the great insights!
2014-08-22 at 3:52 AM
Hey awesome!!! Thanks heaps! You article has helped me with my preparation to go to Tony Robbins UPW in Sydney soon! Cheers
2016-11-07 at 3:55 PM
Thank you for posting the info! Looking forward to my first UPW in three days!!
2017-03-17 at 3:58 AM
I am participating in the upcoming Tony Robbins event next week and enjoyed your sharing about your experience. I want to get the most out of it that I can.
2019-03-09 at 12:46 AM
I will be attending my first UPW event in Los Angeles next week! Thank you for your tips. They are very helpful!
2019-03-19 at 10:22 PM
You are very welcome Ynolas! Glad you found it useful. Enjoy UPW and be open to new experiences, even if you don’t understand the reason behind them.
2019-07-06 at 6:02 PM
Mike Thank you for the advice! I am headed off in a few days to UPW and I am very excited to continue my journey! All the information you provided will help me get to the next level. Thank you for taking the time to give us these tips and tricks!