Want to make a PDF, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, MP3 audio file, MP4 video file or other type of file available for download on your WebsiteBaker website though a link?
The good news is that the process is the same for almost any type of file. The exceptions are files which are interpreted by the web server or the web browser such as HTML, PHP, ASPX, etc.. Although you can probably upload these, they will be displayed instead of downloaded when people click on them.
To make a file available for download on your website, follow these simple steps in WebsiteBaker:
- Log into the Administration side of your WebsiteBaker website.
- Edit the page which contains the text you want to turn into a link.
- Select the text or image that you want to turn into a link by highlighting it with your mouse. Images can be anything like a thumbnail of a book cover or report, or a graphic button that fits in with the look and feel of your website.
- Click the Edit/Insert Link button in the editors toolbar.
- Simply click the Browse Server button and select the desired file.
- If the file was not previously uploaded to the website, click on the Browse button a the bottom of this window, select a file on your computer and click Open. Once the file has finished uploading, it should now appear int he list. Select it.
- Alternatively, click Cancel, make sure you save any changes you've made in your page and upload the file using the Media manager in WebsiteBaker. Then go back to step 2 above.
- The link should have been automatically be created for you. Click OK.
If you try to upload a file that already exists, WebsiteBaker will rename your newly uploaded file. If you meant to replace the file, you will need to delete it in the Media manager first before you upload the new version.
Note that this will make a link to the file so that people can download it. Embedding an audio or video files in your WebsiteBaker web page requires a different process.